BYLAWS – CWA Local 7250
ARTICLE I – NAME
This local shall be known as Local 7250, Communications Workers of America.
ARTICLE II – JURISDICTION
Jurisdiction of this local shall be the jurisdiction assigned by the union and appearing on the face of the local charter.
ARTICLE III –OBJECTIVES (03/20/13)
The objectives of local 7250 shall be to represent and serve the workers within the jurisdiction in accordance with the Bylaws and rules of the local and the constitution and policies of the union. (03/20/13)
ARTICLE IV – LOCAL STRUCTURE
The structure of the local shall consist of the following:
- Executive Board
ARTICLE V – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1 – Eligibility
Any person eligible for membership in the Communication Workers of America, as
defined in Article V of its Constitution shall be eligible for membership in this Local, if
retired from or performing work within the Local’s assigned jurisdiction, or if employed on a part-time or full-time basis by the Union. (5-23-07)
Section 2 – Transfers
The transfer of membership from this Local to the jurisdiction of another Local and from
another Local to the jurisdiction of this Local shall be made in accordance with Article
V of the Union Constitution.
ARTICLE VI – LOCAL DUES AND ASSESSMENTS
Section 1 – Local Dues
Each member of the Local shall pay dues into the account established by the Local
Membership. Membership dues may be changed only by a majority of those voting on
the question by secret ballot referendum, or by a majority secret ballot vote in a
meeting where a quorum is present, if the question has been advertised on bulletin
boards at least seven (7) days in advance of the meeting or by notice mailed postage
prepaid to each member at least seven (7) days in advance of the meeting. (03/20/13)
Section 2 – Local Special Assessments
The membership of this Local may levy special assessment only in the same manner
as provided for changing Local dues. However, any special assessments levied shall
be made in compliance with Article VI of the Union Constitution.
ARTICLE VII – GOVERNING AUTHORITY
Section 1 – Membership
The affairs of this Local shall be governed by its membership in accordance with the Constitution and policies of the Union in the following manner: (03/20/13)
( a ) Through action taken in membership meetings or by referendum of the membership.
( b ) Through actions and decisions of the Executive Board between membership meetings.
( c ) Through actions and decisions of the Local Officers between meetings of the Executive Board.
( d ) A quorum is defined as those members in attendance including the Executive Board.
( e ) The action and decisions of the Executive Board and Officers of the Local
between Local meetings may be overruled by the membership in a Local meeting or by referendum.
Section 2 – Executive Board
The Local Executive Board shall consist of the following:
- Executive Vice President (5-23-07)
- Area Vice President(s) (5-23-07)
( a ) Marketing and Support (05/23/12)
( b ) AT&T Retail (05/23/12)
( c ) AT&T Network Core and Mobility (05/23/12)
( d ) AT&T DTV (03/22/17)
- At Large Member (3-16-05)
ARTICLE VIII – LOCAL MEETINGS
Regular meetings of this Local shall be held at a time and place as determined by the Local.
Special meetings may be called by a majority vote of the Local Officers, or by petition signed
by ten (10) percent of the members. Upon receipt of a proper petition, the Local Officers call a
special meeting to be held within ten (10) days.
- ND, SD, IA, NE & Out-state MN Members that live AND report to work more than 50 miles from the Union Hall or drive a company assigned vehicle and store the vehicle at your home more than 50 miles from the Union Hall; may be eligible to participate in membership meetings via conference call. (5-19-10) (5-18-11)
- Members who are unable to attend the meetings due to illness or disability may be eligible to participate in membership meetings via conference call. (03/20/13)
- Members for whom participation via conference call is the only reasonable accommodation within the meaning of the Americans with Disabilities Act shall be able to participate in membership meetings via conference call. (03/20/13)
ARTICLE IX – LOCAL DELEGATES TO THE UNION CONVENTION
(a) The election of a person for the office of President, Executive Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer shall also constitute the nomination of the same person as a delegate and as an alternate to CWA conventions held during the term of office for which the election is being conducted. (5-23-07)
(b) In the event the Local elects more than one delegate to the Union convention, the Local shall
determine the convention votes assigned to each delegate in accordance with Article VIII of
the Union Constitution.
(c) It shall be the duty of the Secretary/Treasurer of the Local to certify the Local delegates to
the Union convention to the Secretary/Treasurer of the Union within the time limits
specified in Article VIII – Section 6 of the Union Constitution.
ARTICLE X – LOCAL COMMITTEES
- The Local may have the following regular committees:
- Education Committee
- Election Committee
- Organizing Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Membership Committee or Committees
- Community Service Committee
- Other Committees
- Members of all committees shall be appointed by a majority vote of the Local Officers,
subject to the Local membership to overrule such appointments.
- Vacancies on committees shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointments.
- A member of any Local committee may be removed by a majority vote of the Local Officers,
subject to the right of the Local to overrule the action of the Local Officers. A committee member may also be removed by action of the Local in a membership meeting.
- Duties of Committees:
- Education Committee – The Education Committee shall assist in developing the
Local’s Educational program and with the Local Officers be responsible for effectuating the Union’s and Local’s Educational programs.
- Election Committee – The Election Committee shall conduct all nominations and
Elections and referenda of this Local.
- Organizing Committee – The Organizing Committee shall assist the Local Officers
and members in organizing all non-union employees within the Local’s jurisdiction.
- Legislative Committee – The Legislative Committee shall assist in developing and pursuing the program of the Union and the Local in the Legislative field. It shall be responsible for the Local’s program to register each qualified voter.
- Membership Committee – The Membership Committee or Membership Committees shall accept or reject membership applications in accordance with the bylaws and rules of this Local and Article V of the CWA Constitution and policies of the Union.
- Community Services Committee – The Community Services Committee shall assist in developing all Community Service Programs.
- Other Committees – (add duties.)
ARTICLE XI – ORDER OF BUSINESS
- The order of business at a Local meeting shall be as follows:
- Call to order
- Roll call – optional
- Reading and action on minutes of previous meeting
- Report of Officers
- Report of committees
- Unfinished business
- New business
- The order of business may be suspended by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present.
ARTICLE XII – LOCAL OFFICERS, EXECUTIVE BOARD, AREA VICE PRESIDENT(s), STEWARDS AND THEIR DUTIES (5-23-07)
Section 1 – Local Officers
- The Officers of the Local shall be:
- Local President
- Executive Vice President (5-23-07)
- The duties of the Local Officers shall be as follows:
- The Local President shall:
(a ) Be responsible for the conduct of all local business.
- Preside at local membership, Local Executive Board, and Local Officers meetings.
- Prosecute grievances and appeal then to higher levels of the Union when not satisfactorily settled.
- Supervise all Local Committees.
- Approve all bills to be paid, and countersign all checks drawn on the Local treasury.
- Perform whatever additional duties that may be assigned by the Local or required by the policies or Constitution of the union.
- The Local Executive Vice President shall: (5-23-07)
- Work under the direction of the Local President.
- In the absence of the President, exercise the duties of the President.
- Preside over the Area Vice Presidents and stewards in all facilities they have been elected to represent. (05/23/12)
- Approve all bills to be paid, and countersign all checks drawn on the Local Treasury. (05/23/12)
- The Local Secretary/Treasurer shall:
- Perform such duties as may be assigned by the local, the executive Board, or the Local President.
- Be custodian of all assets of the Local.
- Report to each membership meeting on the financial status of the Local.
- Be bonded, as must any other person who handles local funds or other property in accordance with the Union Constitution or any State or Federal Law.
- Cause the payment of all bills approved by the Local President.
- Turn over all books and records and all other property of the local to his successor in office.
- Maintain an updated record of the membership.
- Record and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the Local, the executive Board, or Local Officers.
- Furnish the President and Executive Vice President of the Local with copies of any changes in the Bylaws within 10 days after such changes are made. (5-23-07)
Section 2 – Area Vice President(s), At Large Member, and Stewards (5-23-07)
- Area Vice President(s) shall: (5-23-07)
- Be elected at by the members represented in the unit. (03/20/13)
- Work under the direction of the Local President, Executive Vice President and Secretary/Treasurer. (03/20/13)
- Direct and preside over the steward force in the unit. (03/20/13)
- At Large Member Shall:
(a) Be elected at large. Attend all executive board meetings. (3-16-05)
- The Local shall have as many stewards as may be appointed by the Local Executive Board. Stewards will not be elected by popular vote, but may be appointed if consensus of 2/3 majority of unit petitions the Executive Board to appoint a specific individual.
- Then duties of the stewards shall be as follows:
- The stewards shall:
- Work under the direction of the Local President, Executive Vice President and Area Vice President. (5-23-07)
- Perform whatever duties as may be assigned by the Local, the Local Executive Board, or the Local President.
- The duties of the Local Executive Board shall be as follows
- Be responsible for making decisions and taking action in to on behalf of the Local membership between Local meetings on all matters concerning the good and welfare of the members.
- Cause an annual budget to be prepared and presented to the membership.
- Be responsible for the operation of strike action procedures as outlined in the Union Constitution.
- Actions and decisions of the Executive Board shall be subject to approval by the membership.
- A majority of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
- Maintain a Local Strike Fund to be allocated by the Local Executive Board and Strike Fund Committee in the event of a strike. No monies will be allocated unless the strike endurance is a t least five (5) working days, with consideration given to individual hardship cases.
Section 3 – Duties of Members
- Abide by all Local membership policy and decisions.
- Present grievances and other matters involving relations with their employer to the Local for consideration and adjustment.
- Bring to the attention of Officers and Stewards any activity considered to be not in the interest and welfare of the Union.
- Attend (remove) all meetings and exercise their vote in the affairs of the local (add) whenever possible.
- Abide by the Constitution and Bylaws.
- In the event the Union is on strike, follow the direction of the strike committee.
- Comply with the policy and provisions of any contract duly ratified and signed in accordance with the Constitution and Bylaws.
ARTICLE XIV NOMINATION AND ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Section 1 – General Provisions
Nominations and elections shall be conducted by the election committee in accordance with these bylaws, the CWA Constitution, or rules as determined by the Executive Board. (4-3-03)
Section 2 – Nominations
Local officers and members of the Executive Board shall be nominated in the month of September of each election year. (5-18-11)
- Nominations shall be made:
- At a membership meeting.
- Any nominee must be present to accept the nomination or file a letter of acceptance with the Local Election Chair or the Local Secretary prior to the meeting.
- If there is only 1 sole nominee for any single position that single position will be filled by that sole nominee by acclamation.
(d) In elections where there are two or more nominees for one position write in candidates will be allowed. (08/05/09)
Section 3 – Elections
Election of Local Officers shall be by secret ballot of the membership in the months of October or November of each election year. (4-3-03)
- Elections shall be conducted by secret ballot through US Mail.
Section 4 – Local Election Committee
- This committee shall have the authority and responsibility to see that nominations and elections are conducted in accordance with the Union Constitution, and these bylaws, with reasonable opportunity for each member to nominate and vote for the candidate of their choice.
- The Election Committee shall also conduct any referenda submitted to the membership.
- A member shall not be permitted to serve on the election committee if he/she is a candidate for any office of the Local or delegate to the CWA Convention.
- All questions concerning the conduct and challenges of elections shall be determined by the election committee, subject to the right of appeal to the Executive Board or membership of the Local.
Section 5 –
- The nominee in any election receiving the majority of the votes cast by members in the business unit they will represent, shall be declared elected. If no nominee has a majority on the first ballot, the vote shall be taken again and the two nominees having the greatest number of votes on the first ballot shall be nominees on the second ballot. (4-26-01)
- Only members of the Local in good standing shall be eligible to vote or hold office.
- The term of office shall be for three (3) years.
- The officers shall take office on January 1, following the election.
Section 6 – Vacancies
A vacancy in the office of the Local President shall be filled by the Local’s Executive Vice President. Vacancies in other offices will be filled by appointment of the governing body subject to approval by the membership as stated in Article XV of the Union Constitution. (5-23-07)
- If the majority present at the membership meeting accept the appointment through majority vote, the appointed will fill the vacancy for the remaining term of office. If the majority reject the appointment, an election will be held within 60 days to fill the vacancy as required by Article XV of the Union Constitution.
- The above procedures apply to the Area Vice Presidents. (05/23/12)
Section 7 – New Units Organized / Local Mergers
- In the event of a merger with another Local Union of 50 or more members: The members in that Unit will elect an Area Vice President to represent them on the Executive Board to protect the interest of all members. (5-23-07)
- While organizing unorganized workers in groups of 50 or more in any industry: The members in that Unit will elect an Area Vice President to represent them on the Executive Board to protect the interests of all members. (5-23-07)
- The new Area Vice President Positions will be labeled by the merged Local, the employer or the unit they represent. (5-23-07)
- The Area Vice President(s) shall remain representing their unit(s) as long as there are 50 members to represent. (08-15-07)
ARTICLE XV – STRIKES
The calling, conduct and termination of strikes affecting this Local shall at all times be carried on
in compliance with the rules prescribed by the Union and Article XVIII of its Constitution.
ARTICLE XVI – CHARGES, TRIAL, AND APPEALS
Section 1 – Charges
Members of this Local may be fined, suspended, or expelled in the manner provided in these bylaws, for any of the acts enumerated in Article XIX of the Union Constitution.
Section 2 – Trials
Any accused member, including officers, of this Local shall be tried under the provisions of Article XX of the Union Constitution. (03/20/13)
Section 3 – Appeals
A member or officer of this Local, upon being found guilty by a Local trial court, may appeal as provided in Article XX, of the Union Constitution. (03/20/13)
Section 4 – Local Trial Court
A trial court of this Local shall be composed of 3 to 7 persons, who are members of this Local and not parties to the proceedings, and who shall be selected by the Executive Board of the Local.
ARTICLE XVII – RECALL OF LOCAL OFFICERS
Any elected officer of this Local may be recalled in accordance with the provision of Article XXI and XXII of the Union Constitution. (03/20/13)
ARTICLE XVIII – AMENDMENT TO LOCAL BYLAWS
After adoption, these bylaws may be amended by either of the following methods:
- 2/3 majority vote of the members present in a Local meeting, if the proposed amendment has been introduced at a previous membership meeting or has been advertised to the membership by use of bulletin boards or US Mail, postage pre-paid at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.
- Referendum of the membership.
ARTICLE XIX – REFERENDUM OF THE LOCAL
- The Local Election Committee shall submit any question to a referendum of the membership when directed to do so by action of a regular or special membership meeting.
- Questions submitted to referendum shall be determined by a 2/3 majority vote of those voting on the question.
ARTICLE XX – FISCAL YEAR AND AUDIT
- The fiscal year of this local shall be from October 1st of each year to and including September 30th of the succeeding year.
- The financial records of this Local shall be audited by a Certified Public Accountant, or by a committee selected by the Local, at the end of each fiscal year. The results of such audit shall be made available for the inspection of any member of the Local.
ARTICLE XXI – OATH OF OFFICE
Each elected officer of the Local, after meeting all other qualifications, shall be duly installed upon taking the following oath:
I (give name) hereby accept the office of (name of office) of Local 7250, Communications Workers of America, with full knowledge of the responsibilities and duties of such office.
I promise to faithfully discharge my duties according to the bylaws and rules of the Local and the Constitution and policies of the union.
I further promise to give my successor in office all books and records in my possession. I shall at all times endeavor to serve my Local and the Union to the best of my ability, so help me God.
ARTICLE XXII – ADOPTION
These bylaws shall be adopted upon approval of a majority of the members voting upon their adoption in the membership meeting called for that purpose.
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED APRIL 13TH 2000
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED APRIL 26TH 2001
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED APRIL 3rd 2003
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MARCH 16TH 2005
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MAY 23RD 2007
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED AUGUST 15th 2007
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED FEBRUARY 18, 2009.
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED AUGUST 5, 2009
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MAY 19, 2010
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MAY 18, 2011
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MAY 23, 2012
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MARCH 20, 2013
REVISED BYLAWS ADOPTED MARCH 22, 2017